Tuesday, June 15, 2010

107 - How You Doin'?

I realised today the effect this blog is having on my social life. It was unexpected and quite strange, but now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense.

My friends read my blog and to them, they're hearing from me as though I picked up the phone or sent an email and chatted to them for a while. That's fine really, but what happens then is that I don't hear from my friends for days or weeks at a time. They don't realise it, because they know how I am and what's on my mind or what I get up to, but I have no idea how they are or what's happening in their lives because it doesn't register on a conscious level that the blog as a conversation is completely one-sided.

It's a very strange feeling, knowing that all your friends know all about your day/week/life, but you don't know a thing about theirs, or don't even realise that they know everything you're saying. Half of the people that read this blog I didn't realise even read it at all.

It's like having a diary, leaving it on your front door step and closing the door, not knowing who is going to read it and who isn't, and people rarely knock on the door to talk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment