Monday, May 17, 2010

078 - I'll Show You!

In the newspaper today there was a story about a young woman who recently climbed Mount Everest, despite only taking up climbing last year. Reportedly, she was seventeen years old when she first said to her dad that she was going to climb Everest,and he laughed and told her she'd never do it.

It got me wondering about how many people do things just because someone says they can't. Or how many people want something more because they're told they can't have it.

I don't just mean wanting chocolate when you're on a diet...

When my parents have ever said that they didn't think I'd be able to do something, I usually took it to heart and believed them. Thankfully this hardly ever happened. If a friend told me I wouldn't be able to do something I might argue and then it could go either way, whether I would do it or not. However, if someone I didn't like told me I was incapable of something I would go out of my way to prove them wrong.

Is that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment