Friday, March 5, 2010

005 - Sing For Your Supper



*****

Buskers.


Personally they only really annoy me when they're really terrible (but then you can walk away) or really pushy for money.

I've always liked the diversity of some of the street performers in Dublin. Most other cities I've been to have a singer with an acoustic guitar on every corner, or at a push some sort of magician. Here though, you just get really weird stuff. Like the guy who writes message on the pavement with chalk. Or the guy who has been painting the same square inch of a huge, incomplete mural for the last 2 years (really? come on). Or the guy that does the exact same sand sculpture every time and it only takes him a few seconds! Amazing! Not. Where else in the world have you seen a grand piano set up in the middle of the street though, or a strange middle-aged woman play a harp, or a full 5 or 6 or 7 piece band, from indie rock to a full out Beatles tribute. And then there are the weird little kids that just sing.

Anyone that's visited Dublin seem to like the street performers. Everyone that lives here tends to hate them. Though, what I was surprised to find out about is that Dublin are hosting an International Street Performers Festival... I think I'll pass.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the opening scene in the movie "Once"...oddly enough, filmed in Dublin

    ReplyDelete