Wednesday, March 31, 2010

031 - Kisses For Lula (Book Review)

When I picked up this book I had a preconceived idea of what to expect: teen girl, over-the-top romance and drama with little else going on between the pages. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Right from the beginning I was giggling away to myself as the main character, Lula, developed with endearing humour and striking relatability. The delivery of the story was refreshing, engaging and not what I expected. It was so much better!

All of the characters feel real, from Lula’s slightly estranged family to all of the boys she encounters, but the book’s strongest point is by far the underlying sense of mystery and suspense that had me – a 24 year old wannabe writer – abandoning everything (including sleep) to read the book (which is supposedly intended for teenage girls...phfft...) to find out 'who done it'.

Any girl with a sense of adventure will love this book, whether 15 years old and never been kissed, just like Lula, or 25, 45 or 85 and looking for a fond reminder of how it feels to be a teenager that will have you sighing with nostalgia and a lightness in your heart.

This book is very funny, very warming and very girly, and will leave any reader with a smile on her face. I can’t wait for 'Lula Does The Hula'...

1 comment:

  1. What a great recommendation. I'm going to get me a copy.

    ReplyDelete